Cartwright

Cartwright

Cartwright is an unincorporated urban community in the Cartwright – Roblin Municipality within the Canadian province of Manitoba that held village status prior to January 1, 2015. It was originally incorporated as a village on December 31, 1947.

Situated along the Badger Creek, the original location of Cartwright (also known as the Badger, or Old Cartwright) was established in 1879 by pioneers following the Boundary Commission Trail. Old Cartwright began on two townsites, one owned by P.C. McKibbin, the other by J.C. Waugh. The two men admired Sir Richard Cartwright and agreed to name their communities "Cartwright."

Waugh's land, being directly on the Boundary Commission Trail, became the area truly considered Cartwright.

In 1885, the location of Cartwright was moved 3.2 kilometres south to its present location to coincide with the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway line through that area.